Saturday, February 9, 2008

Vir Sanghvi's my rockstar of the month

No, I do not want Vir Sanghvi to autograph my tee. Please, I do not want anybody's signature on my tee, for that matter- not even Eddie Vedder or Roger Waters and I lurve them to bits! But, even so, I'm a shameless Sanghvi groupie. Mainly because he doesn't bore me to tears by pompously quoting Aristophanes and other worthies, unlike his look-at-me-I'm-so-damn-erudite contemporaries. He doesn't give a shit about impressing the socks off his readers- and that's one of the reasons why he's way, way above and beyond other edit page writers.The man runs rings around them! Of course, his casual, contemporary style and dry wit help considerably. But best of all is his fresh take on practically every issue. The last few days everyone and his chihuahua has wittered on about Raj Thackeray. You've read one, you've read them all. And I groaned when I picked up today's HT. Et tu Sanghvi, I muttered darkly under my breath- I have to read about the lesser Thackeray yet, yet, yet again? Woodsman, spare this tree! But, Sanghvi had me rolling on the floor with mirth, likening Raj to Mini Me! Wonderfully wicked man (Sanghvi, not Raj in this case). Please Santa, may I have Sanghvi for Christmas?
P.S. Have to guiltily confess that I've written on the lesser Thackeray too, but since it's for a monthly, it won't be out till next month. So you've been spared, lucky you!

1 comment:

Rash said...

am a groupie too...except when he is on television