Thursday, June 19, 2008

Retro Reads

It's funny how time changes perspectives. Always trashed Dickens as being deathly depressing but these past few months, since I've been on a re-reading Dickens spree, I find him marvellous. Absolutely love his characters- particularly the minor ones. And just finished re-reading The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald) and the book moved me so much more this time round. Can't sleep, the story is still clashing around in my head, stirring up all manner of emotions. My views on Richard Gordon haven't changed though- he still has me giggling helplessly! Purloined two of his books from Mum and Dad's bookshelves during my last holiday home and have instructed my sister to pinch the rest of the set (whenever my parents discover an author they enjoy, they can't rest till they own the author's complete works) . Can't wait for her to return with the booty! Meanwhile I have Chekhov and Gorky to go through again- wonder what I'll think of them now.

No comments: