Sunday, July 26, 2009

Life's a bitch and other buzz phrases

I warmed to the phrase, 'Life's a bitch,' when it did the rounds. This rolling phrase gathered a fair amount of moss, and became 'Life's a bitch and then you die.' Nice. But even better, far better indeed, was the counter phrase, 'Life's a bitch and then you don't even die!' Sums up my personal philosophy nicely.

I enjoy counter phrases best of all. Like 'chicken poop for the soul' instead of that icky sticky 'chicken soup for the soul.' Have lost count of the times I've been asked to contribute to the Indian edition of the 'chicken soup' series. "Sorry," I've said firmly, "nothing remotely fuzzy or heartwarming has happened to me ever, thank heavens. But I have loads of material for a 'chicken poop' edition, if you so desire." They never desired that, tragically.

Which brings me to Chinua Achebe's lovely book, Things Fall Apart. Read it over 10 years ago, and was very moved. Have forgotten the story by now, but what remains deeply embedded in my mind is the title. So philosophical and stoic and strong. Things fall apart. Love the implication: So what? Deal with it!

4 comments:

Rash said...

chicken soup...remember a time when every icky sort was reading it. Even the vegetarians

rupagulab said...

Ha ha - that's funny!Flipped through it once at a book shop out of curiosity and gagged.

deepika said...

What a brilliant coincidence! I was just going to write a 'new post' that is a story which i got in my mail box, a chicken soup story. You know, even i used to hate it, i mean, i felt as if, this is so not made for me... but when i actually read few stories in it... they are actually unusual.. :D

Just suggesting you! and yes, you can read my blog's new post... and tell me how you found it... will love to see what u comment :)

TC!

ranjona said...

things fall apart, the centre cannot hold, yeats no?