Saturday, August 22, 2009

Vir Sanghvi - sigh.

Yet, yet, yet again, Vir Sanghvi has made me gush like a lovesick teen. He's every writer's rockstar, he's just got to be! At this very moment if you ask me to choose between drinks with Roger Waters, Kurt Cobain's ghost or Vir Sanghvi, I'll take Sanghvi!

A few years ago, I felt a warm glow spreading through me when he likened Raj Thackeray to Mini Me. And today, I laughed uproariously at a sentence in his HT Sunday column, Counterpoint: '...any suggestion that Sardar Patel can't walk on water is anathema to the BJP...' Fanfingfastic - it's not what you say, it's how you say it! The rest of the article is brilliant too, but of course. Ooh, what a writer!

Wistfully told BH that if he wrote like Sanghvi, I'd be the happiest woman in the world. For a change BH didn't sneer. He looked wistful too - not because he gave a rodent's posterior about making me the happiest woman in the world, but oh, to write like Sanghvi! Had to reassure him that he wrote wonderfully well too. I mean that's why I had the hots for him, because of all those amusing notes he'd pin up on my softboard in office.

And now for a spot of perspective. I don't lurve Sanghvi's Rude Food column in Brunch. It's hit or miss, and frankly, I don't live the high live (nor wish to - ew) so I can take it or leave it.

I don't think we agree on music either. Frinstance I love Tull (and always will), he scoffs at Ian Anderson's Flamingo act on stage - which I rather like, hello, it's iconic. But when it comes to politics, Sanghvi's my man - my main man.

And while on the subject of music, my ex-colleague and bore-buster Pearl the Perilous One, sent me an mp3 clip of an early '80s Brit band - The Cult. Great sound, sexy lyrics. Almost like The Doors without Ray Manzarek. Yum.

1 comment:

Arjit said...

Right! I too love whatever he writes. Flawless, and to the point. Just perfect!