Monday, October 26, 2009

Food glorious food

Saw Julie and Julia DESPITE the fact that I kept falling asleep while I was reading the book. Finally gave the book the boot after ariving at the midway mark. I woke up with relief, thereafter! What drew me to the movie: Nora Ephron and Meryl Streep. And I'm glad I saw it because Ephron has cleverly put in large chunks of Julia Child's life - that was the highlight of the movie, really, together with the loverly food. Ooooooh the fish swimming in a wicked sauce in the restaurant scene - loved the skillful way it was deboned too. And the evil chocolate cake with almond slivers, the pork chops, the sinful fried bread - drool. Not surprised that my popcorn tasted like thermocol while I was watching the movie.

Streep was marvellous as Julia Child with an annoying loud excitable voice, frumpy hairdo and dowdy clothes - she managed to be charming inspite of the drawbacks. Now, if only the entire movie had been about Julia Child I'd have recommended it warmly. But that Julie Powell bit bored me to tears. Such a whiner and moaner without a sense of humour at that. Unforgivable. And all that rubbish about feeling Julia Child with her and listening to Child's voice in her head while she was assiduously following her recipes. When people tell me they hear voices in their head, I urge them to lie down on a nice comfy sofa - in a clinic.

5 comments:

deepika said...

Hey, even I want to see this movie. I'm dying... I'm not able to download the movie from anywhere..... so happyyyy that you saw it :)

deepika said...

oops... you never liked the movie?

rupagulab said...

@ deepika: I liked half of it!

Rash said...

My thoughts exactly. Wanted to whack Julie over the head with something nasty.

rupagulab said...

A dead frozen whale or better still a skinned and frozen turkey would make an appropriate blunt object!